Friday, September 18, 2009

First Fall Family Sunday School Class





















This next Lord's Day begins the first fall family Sunday School class. There has been much discussion about this amongst the teaching teams, and no doubt amongst the whole congregation. I hope this has generally been good and edifying.

What are my plans for this first class? I have given this much thought and prayer. Here is my general outline for each class.

1. Prayer for God's assistance with the class and lesson, and for ongoing effectiveness in our lives.
2. Read a portion of the text as introduction and review the 5 reasons God has given us the Bible.
3. Some form of music - Psalms, Hymns, Spiritual songs - scripture or teaching song of sorts.
4. Object lesson pertaining to text, or to the class.
5. Read the whole text together aloud, thank God for it, teach it, discuss it, review, apply it.



For the first class specifically;

1. We will pray that we understand why God has lead us to this, ask Him for grace and power to help and participate, remain true and faithful servants to Him, and to love and serve each other. Also, that what we learn about Christ and His apostles and disciples will convict and strengthen us for the work He has for us, the good works He has ordained for us to do.

2. We will read the introduction and first few verses of Acts and review the 5 reasons God has given us the scriptures.

3. For music, I'm going to use a DVD of Steve Green singing scripture songs, and children acting out the songs. The one I'll use on Sunday is Matthew 19:14 or Luke 18:16; "Let the little children come." We will talk about this in relation to Acts 2:38, 39, the text of the Pastor's sermon that day. We will tie this in with Luke 6:46, and what it means to believe in and love our Lord Jesus.

4. For an object lesson I'm going to bring an old photo of my family and something else (secret). Any who are in my class, would you also please bring a photo of you as a little child with your family and be ready to tell us something about the photo or about your childhood home? If you cannot find a photo of you as a small child with your family, then any childhood photo of you will do.

5. We will read the text, or larger portions of it. Teach about it, discuss it, etc.

That's my plan, and I'm sticking with it. I think.

DR


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.