Monday, November 23, 2009

Acts 10- Part 2

In this essay I'd like to expound further on the post prior to this.

The Jews, or Israel, in the first century were not pleasing to God, and had not been for a long time. If you do not believe this, then consider the following passages and words of Jesus Himself. Also, note in this first passage its similarities to Acts 10.

Matthew 8:5-10;

"Now when Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to Him, pleading with Him, saying, 'Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, dreadfully tormented.' Jesus said to him, 'I will come and heal him.' The centurion answered and said, 'Lord, I am not worthy that You should come under my roof. But only speak a word, and my servant will be healed. For I also am a man under authority, having soldiers under me. And I say to this one, 'Go,' and he goes; and to another 'Come,' and he comes; and to my servant, 'Do this,' and he does it.'

"When Jesus heard it, He marveled, and said to those who followed, 'Assuredly, I say to you, I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel!'"

Here is a Roman centurion in Capernaum who exhibits greater faith in Christ than could be found amongst those who considered themselves God's people, Israel. Here is a man who humbly recognized himself as unworthy to be near God. Since without faith it is impossible to please God, it follows that God was not as pleased here with Israel as He was with this humble centurion "Gentile."

Matthew 23:15; (Matthew 23 is filled with Jesus' judgments against these Jews)

"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you travel land and sea to win one proselyte, and when he is won, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves."

If we had to wonder why Cornelius in Acts 10 had not become a proselyte of the Jews, perhaps Jesus hints at the answer in the passage above. Cornelius may have understood the ways of God better than those who "considered" themselves God's people, the Jewish Pharisees and scribes. He truly feared God, and understood something more about God's ways. Perhaps he recognized the "sons of hell" many of these Jews were.

There are many, many others similar to these passages. Jesus came to earth when the wicked and unfaithful Israel had finally filled up their cup of wrath, and God was ready to end this covenant with them. Jesus says in Matthew 23:38; "See, your house is left to you desolate."

And then in Matthew 24:1; "Then Jesus went out and departed from the temple,..."
Even after this however, God continues to provide opportunities for repentance, and many do repent. But now they must come into their relationship with Him through His Son's new covenant. In fact, I believe Romans 11 was fulfilled prior to the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D. when a great many Jews became Christians. Acts gives a preview of what I believe continued to happen in greater numbers as 70 A.D. approached.


DR


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.